Monday, July 19

#10

Dearest Family,

Oh my heart is so full! What a week! I feel like I have overcome mountains! Heavenly Father lives and cares for each of His children! I am in the place God wants me to be! I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer.

I feel so uplifted from your email. Thank you! I am so happy that the company BBQ went well. It sounds so fun. I did get to see the Ray family and the Neely's. It was so great to see familiar faces. I was so uplifted just seeing them.

When things get too hot here in Nauvoo, they don't let the horses and oxen out for tours and wagon rides. They also bring in "Sunset By the Mississippi" to an indoor stage because of health risks. They don't want anyone fainting.

We just got out of a wonderful meeting with Bishop McMullin (counselor in the General Bishopric). It was most uplifting. He talked about our charge as missionaries and how unique our mission is here in Nauvoo. He recognized that it is difficult for us (and the proselyting sisters serving in the Visitor's Center) to measure our success in this mission. He reminded us that our call in this specific mission is to remind. Remember the days of old, remember the trials, challenges, and dealings of our ancestors with God. Unrighteousness comes from people who refuse to remember. Through out most of the meeting the fire alarm was ringing loudly. It was verified that we were safe to continue on with the meeting so we stayed. It was incredible how it took an immense amount of focus and determination to hear his words and to feel of the Spirit. This experience provided a great metaphor for life. We must have a sincere desire to hear truth, we must seek after it and listen carefully if we want the word of God. Sometimes He requires a lot of effort on our part to ensure that we truly want to hear His words.

In our last Zone Conference Sister Ludwig announced that we are down 31 grandchildren in the mission. There have been several releases lately. Up until this week we had been gaining more and more grandchildren because of all of the new senior missionaries coming in. We know we are on the downward spiral to the end of the summer when the grand baby count is down. Now there are only 2,311 grandchildren between all of the senior missionaries in the Nauvoo mission.

I had an incredible experience last Thursday. Sister Ludwig had found the time in her busy schedule to hold "Drive and Chat's" with each of the sisters individually. She cares for each of us so much. I finally got my turn on Thursday! We spent an hour talking about my life and my feelings and my growth. She loves me very much and I could feel of my Heavenly Father's love for me as well. I am learning on this mission so much about the power that Satan has. He is real and he is trying his very hardest to stop the work. One of the most important things that I am learning is that I am a valuable daughter of God who has power to love and uplift other people. We all have the power to bring happiness and joy to this earth. I need to put a stop to Satan's depressive thoughts and realize my value.

I had a truly incredible experience this past week in the Heber C. Kimball home. Sister Murdock and I had just arrived at the home. We didn't have time to complete the cleaning jobs outlined or finish reviewing the historic facts. We just finished praying together when Tim and Evette rang the bell and came in. I welcomed them to the home and asked if they had ever heard of Heber C. Kimball before and they hadn't. I asked if they had heard of Joseph Smith, and they had not. I then had the opportunity to tell them about the Restoration of the Gospel and its connection to ancient times. I taught them about Joseph Smith and told them about the First Vision. The spirit was so strong. I began to tear up and I could tell they were feeling the spirit. I then told them about the Book of Mormon and gave them a copy! They were so happy to receive it and seemed very excited to start reading it. I marked the part where they could read more about Joseph's account of the First vision. We then went along with the rest of the tour. At the end, they told us that they felt good. They felt something special here. They felt like it was a miracle that they were brought to this home. They told us that they were just on their way to New England from Texas and decided to stop by Nauvoo because they like going places off the beaten path.

They went to the Visitor's Center first and talked to a sister there and they said that she told them they needed to go to Heber C. Kimball's home and that there was a story there that they needed to hear. So, they came straight to us and then left Nauvoo and went on their way. Later, I was talking to one of the sisters in the Visitor's Center and asked her about the couple. She said that when she talked to them, she didn't even give them a comment card or talk to them about Nauvoo or the gospel. These sisters who are serving full time are incredible and have the Visitor's Center down to an art. I was surprised that she didn't spend time talking to them. She then told me that she had a distinct impression that the sister this couple needed to talk to was at the Heber C. Kimball home and that they needed to go. I am so thankful that she was sensitive to that prompting. I really needed this experience. I have been praying for this couple. I sure hope they find missionaries in Texas.

This experience is a little taste of some of the challenges the sisters face in the Nauvoo mission. We don't get to see the fruits of our labor like other missionaries do. We are here to remind people of the Spirit of God and hope that when they leave they don't forget. It is an incredible work to be a part of. I am so thankful to be here. I have felt my faith increase and my knowledge of my Savior and the atonement.

President and Sister Clark (from BYU-I) were here this week! They gave a great Prep Meeting to the mission on Wednesday. They spoke about teaching and spreading the gospel. He testified that the Savior is deep in the work and in our lives, so long as we seek Him. I know that is true.

I have had a couple of blessings this week. I am not worried about my health. Heavenly Father will strengthen me for His work. My voice is pretty much gone today. We think it's from the acid in my tummy. I have medicine though and all I need to do now is wait for my voice to come back. I'm not too worried. Yesterday my voice was gone and I prayed for strength. I could hardly talk, yet when I got on stage and had solos to sing, Heavenly Father sent me a voice. The directors could not tell that my voice was gone. The minute I stepped off stage, the voice left. I have been strengthened. My voice is not my own, but is a gift from God. He has a work to be performed.

I love Nauvoo. I love serving a mission. I love the challenges. I have never felt so many trials ever before, but I know it is for my own growth and good. I hope I can become what the Lord is trying to shape me into. I love you all! See you a week from tomorrow!

All my love

Sister Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment