Sunday, June 13

#5

Dearest Family,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE CARE PACKAGE! Holy cow. The Redford's did send me a wonderful package last week. The hello dollies and bread were out of this world. It was so sweet to get a package. Then, I got your care package! It was so great. I can't thank you enough for all of the family history. I just cried and cried when I read it. I can't wait to go through more of it. All of the Elders and Sisters out here think i'm such a great princess and when i showed them my family lines, they said they all knew it, i'm really a princess. Ha ha. We got a good laugh out of that. What an amazing gift. Thank you for sending that to me mom! Thank you for the cookies and brownies, we all demolished them in a few short hours. :) It was wonderful. I was so surprised to get it. I really wasn't expecting anything like that! It truly made my day.
I hope the Ropers come with you when you come! They are so wonderful. I got a letter with drawings from the Roper boys last week. It was the cutest thing. Actually, as I was opening the mail, Sister Ludwig was walking by at the same moment, so I got to show her their sweet notes. They drew pictures of the Nauvoo temple and of Grandma and Grandpa's home. They are so cute. I think I tell you this every week, but i absolutely adore the Ludwigs. I want to learn all I can from them. What amazing people. I feel so lucky that they extended for this summer! I can't wait to see visitors from back home. It is so uplifting to see familiar faces.
Yes, the shows are exhausting. Physically and emotionally, but mostly spiritually. We try to shine the light of Christ through out the entire show from start to finish, and bare testimony of Him, even when we aren't teaching of Him. We don't have many times through out the day to catch our breath, however, there is nothing more satisfying than knowing i have exhausted my body and spirit in the service of the Lord. When i go to bed at night, i can rest assured that i gave it my all. The mission has two motto's: "Exact Obediance" and "No Regrets". This has brought me maximum happiness. I want to live the rest of my life by these ideas.
I hope you are having a good time with your sisters! They are such amazing women. I'm so glad to have the Redford women and Chambers women in my life as role models. I am reminded frequently of how lucky i am to have immediate and extended family totally active in the church. Not only do we all love the Lord, but we love each other and love to be near each other. What a blessing! I am so happy to hear that Genisus is improving. Is she going to be ok with out a spleen? Keep me updated on her please!
We just got back from visiting the Community of Christ historic sites. This includes the Joseph Smith Mansion, the Nauvoo House, the Red Brick Store, the visitors center, and the monuments of Joseph's, Hyrum's, and Emma's bodies. It is truly incredible to me the difference in the spirit in the Community of Christ owned sites compared to the LDS owned sites. I hope that when you come you are all well rested and happy so you can focus on the spirit of Nauvoo. There is so much to learn and feel here; it is very easy to be distracted by the heat and being tired. Please mentally and physically prepare yourselves before coming. It is hot and sticky and smelly, but the spirit is incredible. The Community of Christ charges small fees for their tours, but arranged to give the Performing Missionaries a free tour. They had their main leader/historian Lachlan Mackay give us a tour. It was incredible. He is good friends with many of the LDS church historians. He knows so much about our church and the people who lived in Nauvoo.
When we were in the Red Brick Store, he went around the room and asked if any of us have relatives that lived in Nauvoo. We would nod our heads and say the last name of family members that lived here and he would light up and identify their first names as if they were dear friends that he once knew. He could even tell a couple of stories about some of the Elder's ancestors and identify where they lived. This man is really cool to talk to. Still, it was amazing how different it felt in those sites. There is a warmth and a light about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know that this is the true church. The LDS church is set apart because of modern revelation and the power of the Priesthood. This is Christ's church. Any one can feel of that truth if they ask God with pure intentions.
You asked when I play a lead role in Anna Amanda. There are two different casts for Just Plain Anna Amanda. I only perform in it every other day. I perform in it on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. There are only lead roles, it's a very small show. I thought I sent this in the last email... when I'm not in Just Plain Anna Amanda (on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays), I am working in the sites. Except for Wednesdays, which is when I have a Prep-day. My prep day ends at 1:00 pm because i need to go do High Hopes and Sunset. Let me know if you are still confused. It's pretty tough to get the hang of the schedule.
I am having a wonderful time out here. I can't believe another week has gone by. Time flies. I have decided that I want to serve a mission for the church as a senior couple someday. I want to do public relations in Nauvoo. A couple spoke in sacrament meeting today and they talked about how they are always traveling around getting to know neighboring cities and spread the word about Nauvoo and the productions that are put on here. They were great. I can just see mom working here in the sewing room and i can just imagine dad singing in the Sunshine Band with the Elders in Sunset By the Mississippi. Ha!
Chris, you are going to LOVE Sunset. You would absolutely love these seniors. I think of you often when we are at Sunset. You would think these people are so funny. I can't wait for you to see it and chat about it.
Every once in a while, I struggle with my purpose and effectiveness as a performing missionary. Have I already written you about this? I can't remember what I write in the letters and what I just think about. Anyways, I am continually reminded of the great good that we as performing missionaries are doing. We bring life to Nauvoo. We are sent here to liven things up, to uplift, to bring music, to bring joy, to be bright. We are here to encourage children and young teenagers who need to feel the spirit. We are here to uplift. I was a little skeptical of the ability we would have of conveying the spirit. I wasn't sure how we could touch people's lives by performing shows that don't ever mention Christ's name. I know now that I was wrong to doubt the light that comes from our performances. I think i have been underestimating the power that is in the work we do. This mission is not about me or my abilities. I am an instrument for the Lord. I have felt Him uplift and strengthen me for His purposes daily. There is nothing like this on earth. I am learning so much.
Aunt Julie was in town? Wow! I wish she would write me! I miss her and didn't bring her address with me. I need to be updated on her life. Sounds like a fun weekend!
I hope you are all well. I love you. Have a great week! Talk to you soon!
All my love,
Sister Chambers


No comments:

Post a Comment