Monday, June 28

#7

Dear Family,
Oh my heart is full. Today is June 27th. The day that Joseph Smith, the Prophet, and his brother Hyrum were martyred. All week our thoughts have been focused on this special day. The events leading up to the final arrest that took Joseph to Carthage are moving and have been pressing on my heart and mind. I have felt a huge responsibility to portray the lives and emotions of those early saints who knew him. Some of the most tender words to one of our songs about the martyrdom are:
"We knew them both. Thanks be to God, we knew them. For we were blessed to be among the few who walked and talked, and looked into the eyes of a living prophet, who brought us light, and taught us truth. Father in Heaven, grant us this day strength to move forward, forgive and obey. Spreading thy gospel now and forthwith. N'er to forget that we knew a prophet of God! Our brother, Joseph Smith."
I wish I could tell you about each time that I feel the spirit whisper to me during our shows or during tours. I know that God lives and because He loves us, He sent us prophets to guide and direct us. In my companion study and as a theme for the week assigned by our leaders, we have been studying the pure love of Christ. After I emailed you last week, I went into my interview with President Ludwig. He asked how the mission is going for me and I told him it is wonderful and I told him about some of my struggles. He bore powerful whitness to me that my Heavenly Father loves me. He is proud of me and He thinks I'm doing a good job. President said that he has been keeping a special eye on me, since he has heard so much about me and because he knows my family. He wanted to see if I am what people say I am. President expressed his love and trust in me for who I am. I have been blessed to feel my Heavenly Father's love this week more than ever.
This has been a wonderful week. We had transfers! I love love love my new companion: Sister Carmichael! She is the shortest girl on the mission and I am the tallest. Imagine that. She is from Arizona and grew up with Chery!!! She is an english major at BYU and we live one street away from each other. She is wonderful. We are learning so much. I can already tell that this was an inspired switch. I have a lot to learn.
Dad, I know in the past we have talked about how to improve our scripture study. Well, after studying PMG pg 17-27, I have found a new way to intensify my scripture study. I highly recommend it. I begin my scripture study with prayer, as always, and as I study I make sure to take note of at least one idea or lesson that Heavenly Father would have me take from that chapter or passage. I write it down and any thoughts I may have had (according to Elder Scott's recommendation on personal revelation). Then, the next morning, I review what I wrote the night before, and I make a concious effort to fill my thoughts with the scripture I studied. We need to continually ponder and reflect on the scriptures. This has brought the Spirit into my heart and mind. I love the scriptures. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I have felt myself coming closer to God by taking those sacred words into my heart.
Dad, thank you for the advice and the confrence talk. I appreciate it. You know, there have been three times on this mission that I have sat down and written a letter to you and mom asking for advice on how to overcome a particular challenge or situation. I have struggles out here that I have been faced with. I haven't sent you any of the lettters, i just keep them in my note-taking journal. As I begin to write you and explain my feelings and struggles, I keep a prayer in my heart and Heavenly Father helps me to work it out. I love you and mom so much and I feel like I can go to you with any problem. I have always known that I can go to my Heavenly Father, but sometimes it is nice to go to an earthly parent for help. I have drawn closer to my Heavenly Father. He has helped me to solve problems in ways I didn't think I could. I feel like I am using Him at a new level of dependance. I have a growing testimony of the importance of writing down personal revelation. Keep a soft heart and seek for Heavenly Father's will and He will make our burdens light.
I need to go now, we have lots and lots to do today. We are performing at the Church of Christ commemoration and at our church's commemoration in Carthage today. Then we have a fireside/ sociable from Vocal Point tonight. This is a really special day and we are putting our talkents to work! I hope my voice holds up.... usually we rest our voices completely on Sunday and it's the only way we can get through the next week. My voice is not my own. We did the Tab Choir's arrangement of "Praise to the Man" in sacrament meeting and we had the angels with us. It was a special experience.
Sister Ludwig just walked by and said to tell you that she loves me and that she's so grateful that you sacrificed me for the summer. Haha, she is so wonderful. She sat and visited with us sisters for nearly an hour the other day before one of our shows started. She has so much wisdom! I hope all of you are well. I love you so much and I am so thankful for you. You are the best family in the world.
All my love
Sister Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment